Nothing elicits a ballad quite like a Chick-fil-A salad! The beauty of creating your own Spicy Southwest Salad lies in the little details. You can add your preferred toppings, lower the calories, or even sneak in as much cheese as you please without the guilting eyes.
This premium entrée salad with chicken will cost you $8.19 at the nearest location, so why not save more while filling your tummy? With this delicious copycat recipe, you can toss your Chick-fil-A salad together any time of the week.
All About Chick-fil-A’s Spicy Southwest Salad
The fast-food chain may date back decades, but their Spicy Southwest Salad is relatively new. So if you were a fan of the Southwest Chargrilled Salad, you’re in for a treat because this salad is a reboot of the former. It was first launched on the Chick-fil-A menu in March 2016, featuring a bolder and spicier flavor.
Various unique ingredients concoct this dish — spiced grilled chicken breast, roasted peppers, black beans, charred corn, chili lime pepitas, and tortilla strips. You can renounce iceberg lettuce in its blandness as everything lays on a bed of crisp greens like romaine and green and red leaves.
Lastly, we can’t omit the main attraction: creamy salsa dressing. Drench your Chick-fil-A salad in this indulgent dressing, and you’ve got the best meal ever. Let’s get into it!
For the Brine:
- 1/2 cup dill pickle juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts
For the Salad:
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn, charred
- 1 cup black beans, charred
- 1/3 cup Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons pepitas
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ingredients for brine together. Coat it evenly on the chicken and place into a ziplock bag to marinate. (You may marinate overnight or for at least an hour.)
- Once marinated, remove the chicken breast and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil on a grill pan and carefully cook the chicken breast until grill marks appear, approximately 4 minutes per side. Then, remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a cutting board, slicing thinly across the grain. Set aside.
- Start assembling the salad by creating a base of romaine and mixed greens. Toss in the cheeses, black beans, charred corn, and roasted red peppers.
- Add chili lime pepitas and crushed tortilla strips.
- Top it off with the slices of spicy chicken breast and drizzle your salad with creamy salsa dressing.
- Enjoy while fresh, and repeat the next day!
You may also make a vegan or vegetarian variation by leaving out the chicken. Instead, add more black beans and corn as an alternate protein. Use vegan cheese and dressing to finish it off.
For more delicious recipes to clone, check out LokaEats!