You will never miss a hash brown in an American breakfast diner menu. Its crunchiness on the outside and softness inside has always been USA’s favorite. With only potatoes and some seasoning, you can make crispy hash browns at home with this simple recipe.
Hash Browns Recipe
Ingredients and tools
1 pound of Russet potatoes
3 tbsp of oil (for cooking)
Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
A large bowl of water (for soaking)
- Peel the potatoes and grate them into shreds and soak them in a bowl of water to soften.
- Wrap the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much starch as you can. Work in small batches to make it manageable.
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add the grated potatoes in batches. Let the oil fry the potatoes until they start turning brown.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on your potatoes for seasoning.
- When one side is completely cooked, flip them over to let the other side cook in the oil.
- Once the hash browns are fully cooked, transfer them to the plate and serve with a savory sauce.
- Prepare a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excessive oil.
What If My Hash Browns Can’t Stick Together?
There are instances where your hash browns might crumble apart after cooking. The solution is to add an egg or flour into the grated potatoes and incorporate them.
Condiments for Your Hash Browns
To enhance your hash browns flavor, you can dip them in these savory sauces, like:
- Barbecue sauce
Get Out of the Box
You enjoy this hash browns recipe by being innovative. You can shape them as patties for burgers, or crunchy pizza crust with savory toppings. There is no limit in making your breakfast special. Alternatively, you can check out Burger King’s Breakfast Menu or White Castle Breakfast Menu.
If you want more food recipes, visit LokaEats for more recommendations.