It is pouring outside, and you are feeling chilly and hungry. Heating up a can of soup is not enough; the cold weather gives you a desire for a meal that can fill your stomach and warm your body.
How about a bowl of goulash?
Originating from Hungary, this meat and vegetable stew has been the country’s iconic food for centuries. With its widespread across the world, this stew has received love and recognition from gourmets and travelers.
Here, we give you a goulash recipe with an American twist to survive the cold.
1 hr 5 mins
1 hr and 20 mins 8
2 ½ pounds of lean ground beef
2 ½ large yellow onions
3 ¾ garlic cloves
3 ¾ cups of water
2 ½ cans of tomato sauce
2 ½ cans diced tomatoes
2 ½ uncooked elbow macaroni
4 tbsp of soy sauce
2 ½ tbsp of dried Italian herb (for seasoning)
1 tbsp salt (for seasoning)
3 ¾ bay leaves
- Chop the garlic cloves and onions into fine pieces.
- Stir-fry the ground beef in a pot until it turns dark brown. Then skim off the excess fat.
- Stir in the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add in water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and salt into the meat mixture. Bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes with the pot cover on. Stir the soup occasionally.
- Add the macaroni into the mixture and simmer for 25 minutes over low heat until the pasta has turned tender. Again, stir the soup occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving. It is better to enjoy your goulash warm.
Alternatives for Your Goulash Recipe
You don’t have to limit yourself to the recipe above.
Vegans can enjoy this delicious goulash recipe. All you have to do is to remove the ground beef from the ingredient list. You can straightaway cook your goulash by starting from Step 4. Add some carrots or radishes to enhance your palette.
For those with a busy schedule, we recommend the slow cooker method for your goulash. First, preheat your slow cooker on High heat setting. Next, follow Step 1 to 3 from the Instructions above. Then, add all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on High heat for 1 hour.
If you want your goulash to be a little cheesy, coat a generous amount of melted mozzarella or parmesan cheese on top of your served goulash.
Bon appetit. Hope this goulash can help you stay warm and full.
Check out LokaEats for more food recipes and food recommendations.